- Chamber of Commerce
- Explore Sesser
- Sesser Events
Welcome To The City Of Sesser !
Established as a Certified City in 1904
Sesser – Its Advantages and Early History
Taken from Franklin County Illinois War History . Less than fifteen years ago the land on which Sesser is built was principally prairie. Now the City of Sesser is a hustling and bustling city of more than 400 inhabitants and rapidly growing. It is located in the northwestern part of the county on the C.B. & Q. Railroad, which has no direct connection with the county seat, always considered a handicap in business intercourse between the two cities.
The first mine was sunk during the years 1905 and 1906, and this mine put Sesser on the map. It was incorporated as a village in 1906 and re-incorporated as a city in 1909.
The community spirit is very apparent among the citizens. Always boosting for their town, and with the sinking of the second mine in 1916, they have had the satisfaction of seeing their city more than double in population in less than four years.
The city is served with electrical current from the Central Illinois Public Service company and has a very efficient system of street lighting. While at present there is no water works system, preparations are under way by which the city will have an elaborate water works system in the near future.
The present and past city officers are to be congratulated on the efficient administration of financial affairs – at no time during the incorporation of Sesser as a village and later as a city, has the city not been able to pay their warrants. This is exceptional as no other city in Franklin County can boost of such record.
The city cemetery – “Maple Hill”, consisting of five acres, is locally owned by the city. A center walk has been laid from the city to the cemetery.
Sesser schools are being rapidly improved and a new high school building will be built in 1921, as Sesser is on the list of accredited schools.
The city has four churches – Methodist, Baptist, Christian and Catholic.
Since the incorporation of Sesser as a village, the following have served as president of the village and after incorporation as a city in 1909, as mayor: A.A. Webb 1906 to 1907, B. A. Murray 1907 to 1909, A.A. Webb 1909 to 1911, J. W. Smith 1908 to 1909, A. J. Gulley 1911 to 1913, H. P. Morgan 1913 to 1915, D. E. Pate 1915 to 1917, N. L. Phillips, 1917 to 1920, C. R. Slade 1920 to 1921